During the summer, five undergraduates have the opportunity to participate in the Summer Research College (SRC). The Summer Research College is designed to foster close intellectual exchange by engaging students in research with a faculty member on a new or ongoing research project. The program is a unique opportunity for undergraduate students from diverse disciplines to undertake research with a faculty mentor while being paid for their work.
Participants will work directly with a faculty mentor for ten weeks and receive a $7,500 stipend. The program, which is part of the Summer Research College, is designed to foster close intellectual exchange by involving students in the ongoing research of Stanford professors.
Participants must be current undergraduates at Stanford. Co-term students and seniors are eligible only if the bachelor’s degree will not be conferred before the end of the research appointment.
Students will be expected to work 40 hours per week during the program. The program will run from Monday, June 24th through Friday, August 30th, 2019. Students and faculty will present their collaborative research in a symposium at the end of the program. You are expected to attend the symposium.
Each student will receive a stipend of $7,500 for ten weeks of full-time research work.
STS does not offer course credit for Summer Research College. You are only eligible to receive the full Summer stipend. Students planning to take Summer courses may not enroll in courses that exceed 5 credits and must get prior approval from the faculty member with whom they are working.
For students who want to apply for on-campus summer housing, room, board, house dues, and other academic expenses are paid by the student. Students are responsible for paying their university summer bill, which will include any other academic expenses incurred. Students may review the summer room and board rates on the Housing Assignment Services website.
Apply to SRC
Applications for SRC 2019 are due Friday, February 22, 2019 at 3 pm. SRC will take place over the Summer of 2019 from Monday, June 24th through Friday, August 30th, 2019.
How to Apply:
- View the STS Summer Research College Project Descriptions to identify your top topic choice(s).
- Once you've found your topic(s) of interest, fill out the STS Summer Research College Preference Form to express your preference regarding faculty mentors and research projects.
- Write a cover letter for each project you are applying for following the STS Summer Research College Coverletter Guidelines.
- Provide an updated resume.
- Provide an unofficial transcript.
- Email the Preference Form, cover letters, resume, and unofficial transcript in PDF format to Emily Van Poetsch (firstname.lastname@example.org).
IMPORTANT NOTE: If your application is approved, you may be contacted to set up an interview. The program is only accepting applications via email.
Application deadline is Friday, February 22, 2019 at 3 pm.
Questions? Please contact Emily Van Poetsch.